Youth Faith Formation (K-8)
Calendar of Classes 2023-2024
FAITH FORMATION CLASSES
REGISTRATIONS are now CLOSED FOR THE YEAR!
If you still need to register your children for Faith Formation this year, email Amy Strickland, Director of Faith Formation at firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the following link to register your children, only if you have spoken to Ms. Amy Strickland, the Faith Formation Director, and she has assured you that your child has been place in a class.
We can only offer classes with assigned catechists at the moment. We are always looking for some more volunteers. If you can help, please contact Amy at email@example.com
Parents of children that were enrolled in Faith Formation in 2022 were contacted via email to place their children in a class before this formal registration occurs.
Contact Amy J. Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not registered your children by August 4th, 2023.
In person classes begin Sunday, September 17, 2023
In the case that you have not registered your children as of August 4th and are still looking to place them in classes this year, please contact the Director of Faith Formation, Amy Strickland at email@example.com or call (703) 528-6199 (do not leave a message).
FAITH DIRECT TROUBLESHOOTING Once the page opens, click register
- Enter information in all fields
- If you are registering more than one child….you have the option to enter another child when you finish entering all the information for the first child.
- Choose Payment Option at the bottom of the page. If you are paying for two different categories you can use the the Other Category (add them up and enter the total amount)
Make sure to use the right category
- One Child -Parishioner – $135.00
- Two children -Parishioner – $220.00
- Three or more children- Parishioner – $290.00
- One Child Non-Parishioner – $200.00
- Two Children Non-Parishioner – $320.00
- Three or more children Non-Parishioner – $425.00
- Homeschool Kindergarten – $85.00
- Homeschool 1st-8th Grade -1 Child – $30.00
- Homeschool 1st-8th Grade -Two Children – $60.00
- Homeschool 1st-8th Grade -Three Children -$90.00
- VOLUNTEER – $0.00
- CASH/CHECK – $0.00
- OTHER (paying for two or three different categories – add amounts and enter the total you owe)
- CLICK SUBMIT
You will receive a confirmation email once you are done.
If it does not go through, go back and edit the page, just to make sure all required fields are filled. Sometimes you just need to re-enter the billing information and it will work,
Faith Formation classes are available for children in grades kindergarten through 8th grade who attend public schools
Classes are offered on:
Sunday 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Sunday 9:45 a.m.-10:45 a.m.
Wednesday 4:45 p.m.-5:45 p.m.
Spanish – Sunday 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm
For more information, contact the Director of Faith Formation, Ms. Amy Strickland, at (703) 528-6199 or StAnnRelEd@gmail.com.
The mission of each family is to bring their children to know Christ and to know the gift of our Catholic Faith. Parents are the primary teachers of their children. To assist families in this most important mission of living their faith, St. Ann works in partnership with parents to assist them in living their vocation as the children’s primary teachers.
- All children not enrolled in a Catholic school are to be enrolled in faith formation classes annually from Kindergarten-Eighth Grade. Each year builds on the prior one, so missed grades need to be made up.
- First Communion should occur in second grade; Confirmation occurs at the start of ninth grade. There is a 2 year preparation for both sacraments.
- Mass attendance is expected weekly for the entirety of a Mass.
- On-time attendance at all classes is expected. There are only 30 hours of instruction per year, with a lot of material to review and a lot of new things to learn! Three absences are permitted, as we understand illnesses, unexpected travel, etc., may arise. If there are extraordinary circumstances in your family (e.g., the need to travel regularly to care for an elderly parent, shared custody agreements, etc.), please let us know in advance so we may work with you. Also, if your child has special needs, please inform us in advance.
- If your child is being homeschooled, at least one lesson per week should be completed for each week there are in-person classes, and there should be a satisfactory result on each unit assessment.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Student conduct should reflect Christian attitudes and virtues. It is an injustice to the other students if a catechist must spend class time disciplining an unruly student.
Expectations of Students
- Students are to act respectfully toward all adults and address them by their last name.
- Toys, games, cell phones and other potentially disruptive items are not permitted in class. If they are brought to class, catechists will keep them in a designated space where students can pick them up afterwards.
- Students may not bring food or drink to class, including chewing gum. Water bottles are permitted and encouraged.
- Students may not walk or run around the classroom, throw objects, speak out of turn, or make fun of or bully other students.
- Students must sit up and pay attention throughout the entire class. They may not keep their eyes closed or lay their head down on their desk.
- Students may not write on chalk or dry-erase boards unless it is for the purpose of the lesson, and permitted by the catechist.
- Students must follow the classroom rules and routine set forth by their catechist.
Expectations of Catechists
- Catechists are to establish classroom rules and a routine at the beginning of the school year and present them to their students on the first day of class.
- Catechists are to treat all students with respect and foster a positive and encouraging learning environment.
- Catechists are to be fair and consistent in their expectations and discipline of students.
Steps to be taken to Address Disruptive Behavior
Disruptive behavior will be addressed according to the steps below, using as few steps as necessary to resolve the issue.
- The catechist will speak to the student in class.
- The catechist will notify the parents, or legal guardians, and Director of Faith Formation of the situation. Parents, or legal guardians, should speak with their child about their behavior.
- A parent, or legal guardian, and the student will meet with the Director of Faith Formation and catechist to resolve the situation.
- It may require for a parent to attend class with their child.
The Faith Formation Office communicates with parents primarily through email. Please be sure to check your email regularly for important updates. Parents, or legal guardians, that do not have regular access to email should let the office know so that alternate arrangements can be made. In the event that a student emails their catechist, or the Director of Faith Formation, directly, their parent, or legal guardian, must be copied on the email. This ensures their safety.
Students, volunteers and visitors are expected to dress in a manner that respects their dignity as children of God who are made in His image and likeness. Their dress should also be conducive to a successful learning environment for all.
DROP-OFF & PICK-UP
All students should arrive at least five minutes early for class. Students must be picked up promptly after the class ends. Parents should notify their child’s catechist, and the Director of Faith Formation, if they need to be dismissed early from class for any reason. Children in classes from Kindergarten to 5th grade must be picked up by a parent or designated adult (let the catechist know if you need an older sibbling to pick them up). If you will be late to pick your child up, please call the Faith Formation Office at 703528-6276.
The Faith Formation Office, as well as each student’s catechist, should be made aware of any learning disabilities. This enables St. Ann to provide a successful learning environment for all students and to support the individual needs of students in our program
BOOKS AND MATERIALS:
All books and class materials used during the class are provided to all students the first day of class. Children must take their books home and bring it to class every week. We are using the school rooms and there is not enough storage space for all the materials.
A $25 fee will be charged for any lost book.
The catechist will provide any additional resources during the year.
In the event of inclement weather, St. Ann Faith Formation program follows Arlington County Public Schools regarding closures and delays. An email and/or text will be sent to parents, notifying them of any cancellations or delays, if conditions allow. If parents deem it unsafe for their child to attend class due to inclement weather, they should notify the Director of Faith Formation via email, as well as their children’s catechists, that their children will be absent. Should classes be cancelled due to inclement weather, they will extend into June by no more than two additional weeks and lessons will be pushed back accordingly.
PHOTO / VIDEO POLICY
No student will be photographed or video recorded without express written consent of their parents or legal guardians. Photos and videos taken may be used in the promotion of St. Ann Faith Formation Program, or other parish programs and events, both online and in printed publications. Names of students will not be posted, or otherwise included, without additional permission. Consent for photographs or videos to be taken of students is part of the annual registration process.
There is a dropdown box in the Faith Direct Registration Page. Please choose Yes or NO.
Students enrolled in St. Ann Faith Formation Program are expected to arrive on time to class each week. Tardiness is disruptive to the class and disrespectful of other students and catechists who arrive on time. Students who arrive more than five minutes late for class must check in at the front office before going to their class. Three tardy marks equal one absence.
All students enrolled in Faith Formation classes at St. Ann Catholic Church must be registered members of the parish, or provide a letter of permission from their pastor granting permission for them to be enrolled in Faith Formation classes at St. Ann. Registration of non-parishioners is subject to approval by the Director Faith Formation and/or Pastor. Parents, or legal guardians, must complete and submit a new registration form at the beginning of each academic year. When a student is enrolled in Faith Formation at St. Ann for the first time, a copy of their Baptismal Certificate must be provided to be kept in their records. This copy will suffice as proof of Baptism for the reception of First Penance, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. Students who transfer from another parish religious education program must provide record of their last grade completed and any Sacraments received. If a student transfers to another parish religious education program, a copy of their record will be provided upon request.
REGISTRATION FEES 2023-2024
ONE CHILD $135 $200
TWO CHILDREN $220 $320
THREE OR MORE $290 $425
ONE CHILD HOMESCHOOL KINDERGARTEN $85
ONE CHILD HOMESCHOOL 1- 8 GRADE $30
St. Ann respects parents’ right to homeschool their children. Parents that are interested in homeschooling their children for Faith Formation should notify the Faith Formation Office and maintain contact with the Director regarding diocesan policies and guidelines, especially those pertaining to Sacramental preparation.
There is a “Homeschooling” Category on the Registration Page in Faith Direct to enroll your child in classes this year. The Faith Formation Office will be contacting the families that have chosen to homeschool their children with a New online Program choice.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM0R-JIJYB4
No visitors, including parents, are permitted to assist with or attend Faith Formation classes without approval of the Director of Faith Formation. Permission to do so should be obtained at least one business day prior to class. All visitors, with the rare exception of a parent sitting in on their child’s class, must be compliant with the Diocese of Arlington child protection requirements, to include a background check and Virtus seminar.